Monday, May 6, 2013

Visiting Indonesia

My mother and I at my absolute favorite beach in Bali - Tanah Lot!
Relevant KASB capacities:
  • Attitude
    • Willingness to take risks
    • Zest or passion for life
  • Interpersonal Skills
    • Able to demonstrate empathy and respect for others
Reflection:

Willingness to take risks 

Travelling usually acts as a life-changing experience for most people - especially to a country that is completely different from the one you grew up in. When the people, the food, the music, the architecture, the standard of living, the lifestyle of something completely foreign becomes salient in your eyes, it makes you question the very world you come from. In my opinion, I think that's the best metamorphosis a person can undergo. And if it's not a metamorphosis, at the very least people will take a second look at what they value.

My mom and I in traditional Balinese garb.
I had the honor of travelling to Indonesia for two weeks this past summer. This trip was especially special because I was meeting my mom's side of the family for the very first time in my life. My mother was born and raised in Malang, Indonesia. She traveled to the States for a better opportunity when she was in her twenties. She even lived as an underground undocumented immigrant for a number of years in San Francisco before she met my father and gained citizenship through their marriage (although I'd like to note that's not why she did it!). Through her time in the United States, my mother could only afford to travel back to her home three times since her arrival. Balancing her marriage, three children, and her own business, time and money were two scarce resources. When the opportunity came to visit, I jumped at the chance to finally see where my mom came from and to experience the environment that shaped her to be such the strong and independent woman she is now.


Zest or passion for life

During my stay, I traveled to Malang (center), Bali (right), Yogyakarta (left), and back to my mom's hometown, Malang. There was a lot to do and see in two weeks, but we made it work. I had a laundry list of places and activities that I've been dreaming about, so I'm glad to say that I did them all! Among that list included riding on an elephant, walking around Borobudur, swimming in Bali beaches, and most importantly, trying the food that was native to each city. Among THAT list, I discovered I am a HUGE sucker for mie, rowan, and sop!




My mom's high school.


Another beach in Bali - Kuta Beach.
Having my wish come true at Borobudur!
Able to demonstrate empathy and respect for others

My biggest takeaway from this journey is learning to appreciate the value of people. Ingraining myself in an individualistic culture such as America makes me often forget my roots. Not to say one is better than the other, but I forget how collectivistic countries really do put the group - or family - first. My grandma, uncle, aunt, and two cousins cared for me like they have known me my entire life, even though this is the first time we had ever seen or talked to each other. They catered to my every need, waited on me hand and foot, just to make sure I was comfortable - even when we couldn't communicate in the same language! They wanted to make sure their granddaughter, niece, or cousin was fully taken care of. It was humbling to see such undying love. Furthermore, this trip made me see my mom more of a person and less as a mother. I finally understand where she came from and how it has shaped her to be who she is today - an important aspect that no one should overlook for anyone. Understanding people at a deeper level laid a path of caring for others for me. Especially in a career of sales, if I never forget to put others first, only good things can come.


No comments:

Post a Comment